Disney’s Hollywood Studios (formerly MGM Studios) was the third theme park built at Walt Disney World Resort in Orlando Florida. The park was opened on May 1, 1989. Originally the park also acted as an operating production studio.
At one point there were active TV and Film production services. Also a functioning backlot and an animation facility branch. Slowly all of those started to disappear.
This post may contain affiliate links. It is at no extra cost to you for clicking a link, but helps me out. For more info click here.
In the 2010s all but a few of the production services were removed along with the only two rides that were available opening day. Those rides were the Great Movie Ride and the Studio Backlot Tour. Those among other reasons are what suck about Hollywood Studios.
Don’t get me wrong the few rides they do have are great. Probably some of the best on property. Tower of Terror, Rock N’ Roller Coaster, Slinky Dog Dash are all good rides. They are also all tier one rides.
If you were not aware you can only book one for your FastPass. Basically you will be spending your whole day standing in lines. I for one hate waiting in lines.
I’ll bypass a great ride if the posted time is over 30 minutes. All of these rides usually have a 45 minute or longer wait time. Even with the recent addition of Galaxy’s Edge and Smuggler’s Run, those wait times don’t seem to be going down.
Either at Hollywood Studio’s or the the other 3 theme parks. With Rise of the Resistance opening in December 2019, hopefully those wait times go down.
Rides are one of the things that suck about Hollywood Studios. Not the quality but the quantity of them. Currently you have 3 in Toy Story Land. One in Galaxy’s Edge and 3 in the rest of the park. All other attractions are just shows.
Even when you add the two new rides coming. The total ride count for Hollywood Studios will be 9.
Anywhere you check, people are always asking where to get food at Hollywood Studios. Nowhere in this park is a must see. You won’t be talking about the food months later.
You may talk about the atmosphere some of these places have. From watching movies while eating in a car. To getting yelled at while having your elbows on the table.
Some of the theming is fantastic. The food however, is pretty so-so. You won’t be posting pictures on Facebook or Instagram about the fabulous food you just ate. You may talk about the shakes. But not about the food.
Recently Disney changed how the FastPass+ works at Hollywood Studios. Instead of the 3 rides at Toy Story Land being the only tier one rides. Now all the rides are tier one.
This means you can only pick one of those rides (Slinky Dog Dash, Alien Swirling Saucers, Toy Story Mania, Tower of Terror, Rock N’ Roller Coaster). Smugglers Run in Galaxy’s Edge is not even available with the FastPass system. Hopefully they learned their lesson and change this again in the near future.
It almost seems like you have to waste a FastPass day to book 1 ride and 2 so-so shows. Of course Star Tours is a tier 2 ride. Star Tours is worth the FP+ use. Other tier 2 attractions are a handful of shows. I never cared for the shows and never saw a need for a FastPass for them.Come Visit Disney World and Save $60 Off Gate Price
Not even for Fantasmic!. Mainly that is because Fantasmic is at the end of the night and I am trying to get as many FP+ a day that I can. Using a FastPass on the Frozen Sing-a-long or Beauty and the Beast Stage show is a waste. You can always get a seat with no problem.
So this might be hard to hear for some. Star Wars Galaxy’s Edge I was not really excited about it. I love Star Wars. I even liked Episode 8 The Last Jedi (as a stand alone movie not part of the Skywalker trilogy).
The land looks amazing. I have friends who have gone and some have loved it while other’s didn’t car for it. The ride I’ve heard is amazing as well. I just think Disney should have built a place we already know. Not cram this new age Stars Wars down our throats.
The older movies are embedded into our culture. If they would have recreated Tatooine or even Naboo. The guest would have come.
Let’s not forget that only one ride opened with the land. Disney was more worried about a cash grab than having a full guest experience. Pandora was a hit over in Animal Kingdom because it was a complete land.
Even if most people forgot the movies. The theming and experience were all there. Galaxy’s Edge is just a complete cash grab. Hopefully with Rise of the Resistance that will change everyone’s opinion.
There are a few things that make Hollywood Studios a good park. But there are more that makes Hollywood Studios sucks. Currently it is my least favorite park in Disney World.
But it does have a few of my favorite rides. I still consider Hollywood Studios a half day park. I would only spend time in Toy Story Land and Galaxy’s Edge.
What are your feelings on Hollywood Studios? What do you think makes Hollywood Studios suck? Or do you think it is the greatest theme park? Let us know in the comments below. Be sure to stay up to date with Kozmophotos. I am working on a what’s great about and what’s sucks about series on each of the 4 Walt Disney World theme Parks, Disney Springs, and Universal Studios and Islands of Adventure.
- Everything Great about Hollywood StudiosDisney’s Hollywood Studios (formerly MGM Studios) was the third theme park built at Walt Disney World Resort in Orlando Florida. The park was […]
- Everything that sucks about Animal KingdomAh Animal Kingdom a theme park built around a zoo. This place is massive. It is the largest theme park in the United […]
- Everything that sucks about Magic KingdomAH, the Magic Kingdom, the number one most visited theme park in the World. Over 20 million people visited this park last year. […]
- Everything Great about EPCOTWhy does this park get so much hate? I love EPCOT. For me it’s second only to Magic Kingdom. Did you know that […]
- Everything that sucks about EPCOTEPCOT was the second park to open at Walt Disney World resort in Orlando Florida. It opened on October 1, 1982. The park […]
- Everything that sucks about Hollywood StudiosDisney’s Hollywood Studios (formerly MGM Studios) was the third theme park built at Walt Disney World Resort in Orlando Florida. The park was […]
- Everything Great about Animal KingdomAnimal Kingdom was the fourth theme park built at Walt Disney World. It officially opened on April 22 1998 which also happens to […]
- Everything Great about Magic KingdomThe Magic Kingdom was the first theme park built for Walt Disney World. Construction started in 1967 and the park officially opened on […]